Monday, November 1, 2010

Starry Night

I look to the stars.
And who do I see?
I see plenty of people.
Like you and me.
People who wish,
People who believe.
People who ponder,
And people who seek.
They seek a God,
Or a person they need.
I see the stars,
But they don't see me.
So how can I compare,
a contrasting thing?
Myself, to a star,
Is like a desert to a sea.
A sea under the sky,
like God over all dreams.
But the dream is of pipes,
And I want to believe.
That I am a shining star,
And people wish to me.
They'd tell me secrets,
Of what they want to be.
And on late nights,
What would they see?
An ever-faithful star,
That shines constantly.
But this isn't real,
Once again, it's a dream.
Nothing but a fabrication,
A mere fantasy.
Because I can't shine,
I can only bleed.
So stars are blind,
So it would seem.
Or they would help,
A soul in need.
I cry to the sky,
And drop to a knee.
One last wish,
Please allow me,
To become immaculate
And forever see:
The moon's ideas
And God's beauty...
Let me glow-
I beg you, please!
Make me one of you!
And none of these!
... I listen for you....
And you never speak...
Silence is knowledge,
And now I see...
I AM a star....
A star that is bleak,
A star that doesn't shine,
A star of misery.
I can't live with that,
Hamlet's got nothing on me,
So I ask his question:
"To be, or not to be?"
The answer is not.
I wonder-
"Will I dream?"

No comments:

Post a Comment